Saturday, December 10, 2016

Friends with Pinecone Crafts

 My most popular post on this blog, by far, has been my Pine Cone Wreath Tutorial, especially at this time of year.  Here's the tutorial:

http://feliciakramer.blogspot.com/2011/10/pine-cone-wreaths-tutorial.html


It generates lots of comments, and often readers will say they are going to try to make their own pine cone wreath. I always suggest they send a photo when they've finished so I can see it, but they seldom send them along.  Well, recently I got lucky. Two people sent me photos of their wreaths and I was thrilled!

This first wreath was sent in by Janet from Omaha, NE.  She created the wreath when she was living in Missouri and gathered the cones while driving down the back roads.  The amazing thing about this wreath is that it is 43 years old!  She obviously didn't need my instructions to create her wreath. 

Isn't it amazing?!  You'll notice that unlike my wreath tutorial, she turned the cones in the center so that their backsides are showing.  I like the effect - I may try that on one of my wreaths.  Thank you for sending this, Janet. 

The second wreath, sent in by Kathy, was created following my tutorial.  As you can see, however, she has added her own creative touches with moss and berries.  I LOVE that effect - it reminds me of a woodland scene.


Kathy also sent along a photo of another pine cone project that fooled me when I first looked at it. I thought it was full size trees with gifts underneath. 

It wasn't until I zoomed in on the photo that I realized those are pine cones!  Kathy explained that the pine cones are about 9-10 inches tall. She painted them green, added rice lights, garland, and beads. For the "gifts" in front Kathy covered small blocks and anything else she could find that was small enough. This has given me some ideas for next year - how about a mini winter fairy garden??

Congratulations, ladies! You both did beautiful work and I really appreciate your sharing them with us.

I too have some of those large pine cones I collected when I was in Big Bear, CA.  I took a little different tack with some of them this year.  I painted and glittered .... painted and glittered ....
I also used some scrap wood to create little houses.   These are not the best photos - the color isn't quite right.  I'm hoping it's sunny tomorrow so I can use some natural light to try again.  Something like this might work for that winter fairy garden. What do you think?









No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm interested in what you have to say. Join the discussion:

Related Posts with Thumbnails