Friday, September 2, 2016

Redecorating Project - Targets for Change: Sewing Stand, Wall Shelves, Mirrored Planter

Here's three quick re-dos as part of my overall redecorating project.

Last summer, I stopped dead in my tracks when I saw this pile my neighbor put out for the trash.  At the time I didn't know what it was, but it was good, clean wood and I wasn't about to pass it up.  Score! Turns out these were bed slats for an Ikea bed.  I have been using them for various projects ever since. 
  

This is my Mom's sewing machine stand.  I have very early memories of learning how to sew on this when it was still a pedal sewing machine.  Mom eventually moved up to a more modern electric machine, but she kept this stand and I inherited it when she passed. 


I wanted to make a new top for it, so I stained four of those bed slats and secured them with cross pieces underneath


 I wanted to acknowledge Mom somehow, so I scanned a page right out of our family genealogy albums.  Mom has always sewn her own clothes, and I guess during the 1920s-1930s she liked having her picture taken! 

I added these cute little tiles purchased from an artist friend, and a few sewing related tins I own. 


  

And done!

 
 


I also used three of the slats to make new shelves for my dining room wall.  My previous configuration was just a bit too much and I wanted something simpler.  

 
 I knew I wanted some kind of hardware for the shelves, so I wandered the aisles at Lowes and Home Depot (one of my favorite things to do).  I saw these and thought, "why not!"  These are handrail brackets.  They had both brass and oil rubbed bronze brackets, but the brass were $2 cheaper.  I bought the less expensive brass - there's nothing a can of spray paint can't solve!  Done!





The final project for today is my mirrored planter. I removed the fake etching on the mirror and repainted the whole unit.  Easy peasy!



 

My next post will involve THE biggest target for change: my sleeper sofa.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm interested in what you have to say. Join the discussion:

Related Posts with Thumbnails