Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Rustic Fall Banner Tutorial

Although it's just a little slow getting here in Michigan, Fall is definitely on its way.  Time for a rustic Fall banner!



Are you like me? I pull out everything I might possibly want to use until my studio is a mess and then I start working!

I started with scraps of fall fabrics and layered two colors back to back, top stitched them on all sides, and trimmed with pinking shears so they'll fray naturally.  I then turned down the top to create a pocket for the twine hanger strip.

Some of the silk leaves were a little too bright and a little too "fake" so I toned them down a little with chalk and alcohol ink.


I layered leaves ...

Then a berry sprig ... and stitched them down.

I then added a thin strip of fabric and stitched that down.I also reinforced it all with a dab of hot glue.

All tied up with a bow! 
 I did the same with four more pieces. 

It's easy enough to drill a small hole in pine cones and insert an eye hook.  Not shown, but I didn't want the hooks to look so shiny so I painted them with some liquid pewter. 

I used another strip of fabric to tie the cones ...

I alternated the individual fabric panels with the pine cones and strung it all on a fairly thick strip of twine, about 6' long.  



All the elements can be moved along the twine to make the banner longer or shorter as the need dictates. 


I don't have good light inside my condo so I had to hang the banner on my patio fence to get some decent pictures.






I'm pleased with how it turned out.  What do you think? 


Sharing at these link parties:

Monday Party Links

Tuesday Party Links

Knick of Time 

Wednesday Party Links

Thursday Party Links

Friday Party Links
Today's Creative Blog 

Sunday Party Links
Under the Table and Dreaming

32 comments:

  1. Bonjour,

    Une guirlande automnale loin d'être banale ! J'aime beaucoup... Merci pour ce joli partage.

    Gros bisous

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always love your fall banners...so creative!!
    ♥'s
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cute! I just love all the mixture of things you have here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very very pretty! Totally honest when I say this is my favorite banner I've seen so far!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very very pretty! Totally honest when I say this is my favorite banner I've seen so far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie, thank you so much! I'm thrilled that my banner is your favorite! Wow!

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just found your blog tonight thru Fireflies and Jellybeans showcase, so glad I did. Absolutely love your banner, so different and so great. I have to subscribe to your blog.
    I also have to get anything out I might use, of course, causing havoc in my studio and kitchen island where I put things together (among other places). From about middle of Sept. til after Christmas our house looks like a tornado went thru it. Good thing I have an understanding hubs. He's so used to it he'd probably faint if things were just so, not that that happens very often, lol. I have to create and am so happy when I am. Guess that's my niche in the world. I'm not good at much else but I do love to create and meet new bloggers.
    I'll be in my sewing room looking for fabric I want to use to make your banner. Hope I can do it justice. Happy days

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you, srpprcrftr! What a nice comment. If you do make your own banner, I would love to see a photo of it. Send it along!

      Delete
  8. Great banner! I am visiting from My Love 2 Create.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love you used fabric & pinecones. Your banner is pretty! Drop by & share it if you like at my weekly party. I have been paper-crafting a few banners myself but, now I want to make a fabric one after seing yours. Theresa @DearCreatives

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your banner turned out cute! I love the colors you chose and the pinecones-enjoy:@)
    PS-Yep, every project begins and ends with a mess...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks to all of you for your comments. I'm honored!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so cute and original! I really love it. Great for the whole season! Thanks for sharing. I'd love for you to come join our Halloween Party!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This has such a good look. So many fall banners but yours is so original and just has the right touch. Thanks for sharing. Have a great Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a cute fall banner!!! Thanks for sharing! Happy weekend to you! xo Holly

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your banner is adorable and I love how you added pine cones, too! Thank you for linking up this week at Sewlicious Home Decor! :)

    Marti

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful banner, Felicia. I love the added touch of the pine cones. The color choices are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a stunning and beautiful tutorial. I just adore this Fall banner.

    My readers loved it too. You were one of the top five clicked ideas last week. Check out your feature here: http://www.crystalandcomp.com/2013/10/best-mom-advice-10713/.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love this. One of the best I have seen. Great job on the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Felicia, Giving your banner a shout out tomorrow! Stop by & pick up a featured button. & feel free to share again tomorrow or anytime! @DearCreatives

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love it! Thanks for linking up the Upcycled Linky Party at love2upcycle.blogspot.com/2013/10/upcycled-linky-party-25.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and you've been featured this week. http://love2upcycle.blogspot.com/2013/10/upcycled-linky-party-26.html

      Delete
  21. Congratulations! You've been featured this week and are also in our Newsletter! Thank you for participating at Sewlicious Home Decor. :) http://sewlicioushomedecor.com/saturday-show-licious-home-decor-53/

    Marti

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Felicia! (like your name!) Such a nice banner! You did an awesome job on the tutorial as well! Thank you for sharing! I so enjoyed reading! Have a great week! Blessings from Bama!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think it is adorable and beautiful and I will be either making one or showing my daughter-in-love so she can make one...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you so much for stopping by. Daughter-in-love - I love that!! :)

    ReplyDelete

I'm interested in what you have to say. Join the discussion:

Related Posts with Thumbnails