Monday, August 19, 2013

Studio/Desk Organizer Tutorial - Saver Not a Hoarder, Part Three

Sometimes you put something aside, figuring you can rework it into something useful.  Next thing you know it's 25+ years later and it's still kicking around your basement ... waiting for you to do something with it!
 

I put this organizer together in the late 1980s when I served a short stint as a pack/ship franchise owner. I believe I used dowels for labels, tape, etc., and the dividers for pens, pencils, scissors, etc.  Can you tell it's been sitting around for a long time? I had to either use it or lose it!
 

Here's what I did.  I cut off the longer pieces, give it a good cleaning and sanding, and primed it.

 I added a thin strip of decorative molding to the right side and spray painted it with Valspar Color Radiance.  The color name is La Fonda Mirage (Flat), which tells you nothing as to its color!  Going by the cap color I thought it was a light blue-green but it's actually just a pretty soft blue. 

These Parmesan cheese containers were the right fit, so I snapped off the center flip top but left the "sifter" parts because I figured they would work to hold pens, brushes, etc.

What would I ever do without spray paint (Valspar tropical oasis)!

I have been using these nut containers as pencil holders in my workroom already and I like their design so I'm leaving them as is.
 The repurposed Parmesan containers work out perfectly.

 In the last minute I decided to attach this pin catcher to the end block.  


And here's the finished piece. It's much better organized than what I was using before.  This was a quick and easy repurpose, even though it took 25+ years for me to get to it!    




Sharing at these link parties:

Monday Party Links

Tuesday Party Links

Knick of Time 
Wednesday Party Links

Thursday Party Links

Friday Party Links
Today's Creative Blog 

Sunday Party Links
Under the Table and Dreaming

21 comments:

  1. That's really cute! I have a SEW Organized series going on and would love for you to link up to it!

    http://sewlicioushomedecor.com/sew-organized/

    Marti

    ReplyDelete
  2. I <3 everything about this project, totally worth the 25 year wait! Thanks for sharing with the Upcycled Linky Party at http://love2upcycle.blogspot.com/2013/08/upcycled-linky-party-21.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Marti. I did!

    Tricia, thanks for stopping by. I'm enjoying the love2upcycle blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is super cute! I also love the colors. Totally makes me want to make one of my own for my daughter. Maybe I will since I am going to make her a craft/homework desk for christmas!

    I would love it if you linked up to our linkup party this week!
    http://www.sowderingabout.com/2013/08/on-display-monday-15.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks good, but I hope my husband doesn't see this, we have lots of things 'that might come in useful...'

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heather, your secret is safe with me! :) Thanks for stopping by and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is sooooo coool! I love that idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Felicia
    What a great transformation! Love the bright color. I recently transformed a (smaller) desk caddy. Love you to come visit at http://altered-artworks.blogspot.com and say hello. I'm going to follow you now, and look forward to catching up on your bright ideas! I found you via Shabby Chic Cottage's link party.
    Doreen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice work. I love making things. I'm going to start making things with wood.. a whole new material to work with. Thanks for the inspiration. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it....nicely done. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a couple of things in my garage like that. I know one day inspiration will hit and I will know what to do with them. You are so creative and you should share it at our party.
    Crafty Frenzy
    obsessiveandcreative.blogspot.com
    We are a small party but we have passion for crafting and repurposing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks everyone for visiting, and thanks for the invitations to your parties. Happy to join in!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great project. This is so what I need to get organized!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi from the SWEET HAUTE Blog,
    Beautiful work, great post! Also….I wanted to invite you to join me THURSDAY's for my weekly linky party!!!

    Christina at
    SWEET HAUTE
    http://www.facebook.com/sweethauteblog

    ReplyDelete
  15. How cool is this!? I love how you reused the shakers - oh what a coat of spray paint does! -Kelsey

    ReplyDelete
  16. I thought I was the only one that held on to things for so long "just in case"

    great repurpose, so functional, and I love the color!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  17. Felicia! I love this!! You are one of the features today at the Anything Blue Friday party at The Dedicated House. Pop on in and grab a feature button for your blog. Here is the link to this week's party. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2013/08/anything-blue-friday-week-23.html Hope to see you again at the blue soiree. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love recreations like this. Glad you got to use it after all these years. I especially love the parm. container idea! New Follower here, I'd love it if you followed back :) http://thecraftiestallie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very nice. I also save things for years because I think I will have a use for it. Frequently, it does happen that I remember something and think "that will be perfect". Sometimes being a packrat works out well. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I put this organizer together in the late 1980s when I served a short stint as a pack/ship franchise owner. I believe I used dowels for labels, tape, ... edeskorganizer.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I really appreciate your work and very amazing and important information about the Desk Organizer which have share in this blog.
    Anti fog film for kids bathroom

    ReplyDelete

I'm interested in what you have to say. Join the discussion:

Related Posts with Thumbnails