Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Magnetic Recipe Holder Tutorial




 My next door neighbor and friend, Dawn, is obsessed with likes pickyourplum.com. She's a baker and especially likes the surprise packages of goodies - they usually include cupcake liners or candy cups, and other baking supplies.  We split the last surprise box; she took what she could use and I took what I could use.

When I saw these magnetic sheets I immediately had an idea for what I could create that would be useful for Dawn.

I also had these 8x10 pieces of beadboard left over from another project.


When I start a project I tend to pull out all kinds of supplies to see what's going to work for my idea. So there's the supply of cardboard, metal and foam letters ...

New double-sided adhesive paper, glitter, flocking, and tools for my Silhouette Cameo ...


The surprise package also included these decorative bottle caps, and I pulled out my extra strong magnets also ...

With my silhouette cameo I also created some baking images ...

It was time to put it all together.  Of course, once I start doing a project I change my mind several times.  I also forget to take progress pictures so I'll have to talk you through the finished products!

Here's the one I created for Dawn.  I spray painted the beadboard pink, cut baking images in aqua vinyl with my Silhouette, painted cardboard letters with aqua paint, then put them all together. Glued the magnetic board to the top of the beadboard.



Glued some letters inside the bottle caps and coated them with Mod Podge Dimensional Magic.


To make a stand for the board, I used two machine screws and nuts.

I also tried adhering some metal letters to a magnetic strip covered with aqua glitter paper.

I thought it turned out well, and I hope it will be a practical addition to my neighbor's kitchen as she continues on in culinary school.


I didn't stop there.

Here's another recipe holder for a baker. On this one I used the Silhouette double-sided adhesive paper and pink flocking on the word "bake." I filled the bottle caps with seed beads and Dimensional Magic.  They really do look like baking sprinkles!



I didn't forget about the cooks. This one has Silhouette cutouts and metal letters inside the bottle caps, again covered with Dimensional Magic.

 


 

These were fun and easy to put together.  I have one more metallic plate. I think I'll make one of these for myself!

Linking up to these link parties this week:
Saturday:
Sunday:

Monday:
Wednesday:
Thursday:
Friday:



1 comment:

  1. "Obsessed with" is completely correct when it comes to Pick Your Plum! I am so happy you live next to me and are able to use all of the things I can't!

    I cannot thank you enough for being so thoughtful! The recipe holder is so amazingly adorable! I'm still in awe over your creativity!

    ReplyDelete

I'm interested in what you have to say. Join the discussion:

Related Posts with Thumbnails