Monday, February 11, 2013

Monday Moanin'


I haven't done a Monday Moanin' post in a long time!  It's not that I don't have complaints or things that bug me.  I guess they're a momentary thing and I don't hold on to them for too long, because when I try to remember what I was complaining about for a Monday Moanin' post I can't remember!  I guess that's a good thing ...

Anyway, I do have two moans about some practices of my fellow bloggers and I'll apologize ahead of time if I'm offending anyone. 

I follow a LOT of blogs in Google Reader.  Recently, many bloggers have started the practice of just showing the first sentence or so and then if I want to read the whole thing I have to click over to their blog.  With as many blogs as I follow, that could take all day!  I suppose this has something to do with traffic to the blog or whatever, but it's a bit irritating to me.  I would like to be able to read the entire post first, then if I want to comment or enter a giveaway or whatever I will click over.  I think it might backfire on them a little, because that first sentence has to be pretty excellent and intriguing to get me to click over.  More often than not, I'll pass right over it.


Second, please stop playing music or running audio advertising on your blog!  Every blogging advice column I have ever seen says don't do it and I agree totally.  I usually have the TV or my own choice of music on so I really don't need the interruption.  I seldom share the blogger's taste in music as well so I don't like having it blast out at me.  Advertising is even worse. 

OK, I'm done.  If you have a rational explanation for either of the above practices, I wouldn't mind hearing it.  You might not change my mind, but I might understand why you do it. 


2 comments:

  1. excellent "moans" - I don't use google reader but knowing they are always fixing things that aren't broken, is it possible that it is being automatically formatted that way now? No idea but just a random thought.

    Totally agree on the music - ad thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stacey - no, it's not Google. Not all the blogs I follow have that shortened version. The bloggers choose that setting themselves. In fact, I follow my own blog so I can see how it appears to others.

    ReplyDelete

I'm interested in what you have to say. Join the discussion:

Related Posts with Thumbnails