Friday, October 26, 2012

Autumn and Antiques and Ahhhhh!

This week we were blessed with a few of those gorgeous autumn days - temperatures in the 70s and the explosion of fall color doing its best to hang on, knowing its days are numbered.  Yesterday was one of those days, and I was delighted to enjoy a much needed escape from my frenetically busy schedule lately.



For the longest time I have wanted to take a drive to the Lansing, Michigan, area to finally meet one of my long-time online friends, Mitzi Curi.  Mitzi is an enthusiastic supporter, crafter, and seller of vintage collectibles and crafty treasures.  I interviewed her here for my In the Michigan Studio series way back in 2010.  She has a great blog where she writes about the treasures she finds to sell in her spaces at three different Michigan antique malls.  And yes, of course, she also has an etsy shop - Mitzi's Collectibles - where she sells her crafted items and vintage treasures. She has a great sense of humor, is endlessly knowledgeable about the world of antiques and vintage, and teaches me a lot about that world with her weekly "show and tell" posts.

I finally got the push to take the trip from another friend, Janet from Felt on the Fly.  Janet sells the most luscious 100% Merino wool felt from Europe in her etsy shop. She also has a blog: Felt on the Fly.   I wrote about her booth at the recent American Sewing Expo.  She loves vintage and antiques, especially vintage linens.  When she said she would like to visit Mitzi as well, I immediately made plans.

We decided to meet at one of Mitzi's booth locations in the Livingston Antique Outlet in Howell, Michigan.  First things first, though - a delicious lunch at Tomato Brothers restaurant near the outlet.  Then on to explore the antique mall.  It's a huge place - almost 33,000 square feet!



The front yard had some interesting vignettes ...


 And this unique creature guards the front door ...




Here's Mitzi's two booths; good stuff!






Mitzi brought in some new items to stock: this table ...

And this lovely patchwork quilt ...

Janet inspected this quilt. Possible sale here ...


We made our rounds of all the booths and found a few treasures.  I picked up a tray and a little doll bench, both of which I'll paint and use for displays at the next Traveling Artists Roadshow. (If I had deeper pockets, I would have walked out of there with a LOT of stuff!)

It was such great fun to finally meet Mitzi, who is as delightful in person as I guessed she would be.  And it was enjoyable to spend a little one-on-one time with Janet.  We're three women who are very busy with our lives and our respective businesses, so it was a treat for us to take a few hours off to relax and get away from "the office."

Here we are, winding down and getting ready to head home.  That's Janet on the left, Mitzi on the right, and I'm the little munchkin in the middle.

 

What a nice day! We pledged to do it again ... soon. 







1 comment:

  1. Felicia, what a lovely blog post! I'm still cobbling mine together, and will probably post it Monday. We picked a great day, didn't we?

    ReplyDelete

I'm interested in what you have to say. Join the discussion:

Related Posts with Thumbnails