Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Where are you going, GFC?



OK, maybe I'm being over-dramatic, but this is what I feel Google is doing to us - shutting us up and trying to force us over to Google+.    You probably heard that as of this Thursday Google is disconnecting Google Friend Connect.  See that block of followers in my right hand column under "I'm Being Followed"?  If I understand it correctly, all of you will no longer be able to follow my blog using GFC. 

I said, "if I understand it correctly" because I'm really not sure what is going to happen on Thursday, either with my blog followers or with all the blogs I follow in Google Reader.  All the information I read is contradictory or confusing and refers to non-blogger blogs.  So I am a blogger blog. Does that mean all of the blogs I follow in Google Reader are still going to be there? Or not? And are all of my followers from GFC gone, never to return?  I have no idea. Google is silent, other than to say GFC is shutting down and you're invited to join Google+.

So here's my plan, such as it is.  I have made a copy of the URLs of all blogs that I follow in Google Reader. If any of them disappear, I will go to each blog I want to continue following and use the RSS feed to bring them back.  That's what someone told me to do, anyway.

If you are a current follower, look in my right hand column near the top under "Follow Another Bright Idea" and choose one of those methods to continue following.  It includes Facebook (my blog posts go automatically to my business page), RSS feed, or Email.  Any one of these can be used to continue to follow my blog.  There's also links there to my Craftgawker gallery and Pinterest boards.

I hope I don't lose you - I love having you stop by to visit.

And, by the way, I'm not joining Google+.  I don't like being coerced to do anything I don't want to do.

P.S. Remember that movie? Can you name it?

2 comments:

  1. Oh Bother - I forgot they were doing something hinky. Cant find any clear info out there either. Everyone is saying something different

    I have to ask, how do you put the row of buttons on the top right (the FB, pinterest etc?) Best get mine up before blogspot implodes or something

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

I'm interested in what you have to say. Join the discussion:

Related Posts with Thumbnails