Monday, January 9, 2012

Monday Moanin' dot dot dot

I have always been an avid daily newspaper reader, even as a kid, which accounted for those frequent ink smudges on my face and hands that my mother was constantly wiping away.  Back in those days the newspaper ink rubbed off way too easily.  There have been two columnists I particularly enjoyed over the years.  Herb Caen wrote for the San Francisco Chronicle and was a Pulitzer prize winner; I followed his column daily when I lived in SF.  Caen practiced what he called "three dot journalism"... a series of short pithy statements and musings ... a  habit I picked up from him a long time ago.

My other favorite was Bob Talbert (Detroit Free Press) whose first column of the week was called "Monday Moanin'."  And that's just what it was ...


I'm not above stealing from my two favorite columnists (rest their souls) so I'm instituting an occasional Monday column that combines the two.  And I must confess ... it's not as easy as it looked when they wrote it!




When I follow written directions step by step but I don't get the result I'm supposed to get ... then what ...
I really really hate it when mechanics, car wash attendants, valets change the radio stations in my car ...

Don'tcha just hate people who leave their grocery carts in the middle of the aisle and go looking for something ...

My ears hurt anytime I hear someone pronounce Iraq and Iran "eye-rack" and "eye-ran"...  They  are correctly pronounced "ear-rock" and "ear-ron" ... Do a Google search to hear it for yourself ...

Sorry bloggers! The French word "Voila" is spelled v-o-i-l-a, not "wallah" or any other phonetic variation ...  Please ...


 So what are your favorite Monday Moanin's??

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    I'm interested in what you have to say. Join the discussion:

    Related Posts with Thumbnails