Saturday, January 7, 2012

The Absolutely Positively Easiest Flower Tutorial

I have been saving and pinning the flower tutorials all those talented bloggers out there have been publishing.   But I came up with one today that I think is the easiest yet!

It all came about from my resolution for the past year to use up all the supplies and materials I have around my studio before I go out and buy more.  In the past I have gone a little crazy with after-Christmas sales so I have quite the stash of ribbons of all kinds.  There's quite a few of the 2-1/2 inch wide nylon wired holiday ribbons - the kind that are all over the place during the holidays - and that's what I was playing with when I came up with this tutorial.

Step 1: Scrunch
Step 2: Tie


Step 3: Fluff.



 See? Easy-peasy!!  I used about a 15" long piece of ribbon and tied it with wire.  Then it was just a question of pulling and shaping the wire to form the flower. 

I got a little carried away, trying it out with some of the other ribbons.




This red rose is from a wired Satin Polyester ribbon. It wasn't as easy to "fluff" but I like the effect - it looks more like an old-fashioned ribbon rose.  I like it!


I haven't decided yet what I'm going to make with some of these. So I took a piece of scrap matboard, punched some holes in it and stuck the bows on.  I can hang this for the time being so I have the samples handy to inspire me.



I would love to try this with an even wider ribbon - but I'm not allowed to buy any more stuff!!


 I can think of a lot of applications for these ribbon flowers (and the bonus will be that I use up all the ribbon taking up space in my studio).  Stay tuned!

Linking up to Today's Creative Blog, Take-a-Look Tuesday, Strictly Homemade and Carolyn's Homework. (see sidebar for links).

8 comments:

  1. What a great tutorial! I think I'll make some ribbon bows to use for gift packages, especially for the ones being shipped as they can easily be molded back into shape!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! I'd like to attach them to headbands or bobby pins... they'd look adorable on my nieces!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been collected ribbon from presents and packages and some of it has wire in it. I'm definitely giving this a go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an easy and fun flower! Pinning this one for future reference!

    ReplyDelete
  5. DOn't you just LOVE wired ribbon, it makes it ever so much easier to make anything look better. All our christmas bows have wire and every year they fluff up perfectly.
    Best,
    Jenn from JustAddWaterSilly.com, hopping from strictly homemade

    ReplyDelete
  6. You make that look so easy! Thanks for sharing and I will definitely try this!
    Jenny
    www.seaminglysmitten.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this tutorial,will def be making those flowers,what a fantastic idea.thank you,x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just found your site and love it. I have a question though on the ribbon flowers. What is the length or approximate of the ribbon, before you scrunch it?

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete

I'm interested in what you have to say. Join the discussion:

Related Posts with Thumbnails