Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Is a House a Home?

 I've been thinking about something lately .... (uh, oh ... danger-danger!)  After going over the various repurposed/upcycled items I have created over the past year or so, it connected with me that so many have a "house" theme.


At first I thought - well, it's only because I have been on an almost total recycle/repurpose/upcycle mission, creating as much as I can with what I have on hand. And what I have on hand are a lot of wood scraps from various projects. A house shape seems a natural.  


 But then I wondered if there were some subconscious meaning to this.  In dream symbolism:

Dream symbol meaning for House deals with the body, as well as a desire for security and safety. The condition of the House in your dream represents how you truly feel about your current situation. A house may represent your self image: how you see yourself, or how you want to be seen by the world, or what you want from life.

Well, that's all well and good. I very much desire security and safety. And my house is neat but not obsessively so.  It's filled with things I treasure - silly trinkets that have some special meaning, lots of my artwork, lots of family photos.  It's very much "me" as everyone who sees it says.  So okay, it reflects my self image.  


 But I don't really dream about my house so much.  What's important to me is how my house makes me feel.

My home...It is my retreat and resting place from wars, I try to keep this corner as a haven against the tempest outside, as I do another corner in my soul.   - Michel Eyquem De Montaigne
HA I'm not fighting wars out there, but it sometimes feels that way when you're going about your business outside of the house, doesn't it?
 A comfortable house is a great source of happiness. It ranks immediately after health and a good conscience.   -Sydney Smith


Yes! Comfort is a big deal with me!
 Here's what else I believe:


Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful. - William Morris

I live in my house as I live inside my skin: I know more beautiful, more ample, more sturdy and more picturesque skins: but it would seem to me unnatural to exchange them for mine. - Primo Levi



 So ... whatever my little houses mean, I'm sure they reflect how grateful I am for my home:


Be grateful for the home you have, knowing that at this moment, all you have is all you need.
- Sarah Ban Breathnach

ExACTLY!  




1 comment:

I'm interested in what you have to say. Join the discussion:

Related Posts with Thumbnails