Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Practice Practice Practice

(Tongue in Cheek) Disclaimer: The following post is solely the creation of the owner of this blog and does not in any way reflect the opinions or talents of Photoshop CS5 creators, Fly Paper Textures texture packs, or my photographer/hero/neighbor/sometime coach, Jean Lannen


I recently bought a new camera (Canon EOS Rebel T3i to be specific) and I use Photoshop CS5. The thing is, I'm not an expert at either one, so I'm hesitant to do any tutorials or brag about how I process my photos, because most of the time I'm surprised (sometimes shocked) that my photos come out looking halfway decent!  This is not just false modesty. I probably use about a tenth of the thousands of possible functions in Photoshop.  Back in college, I owned a great (before digital) camera and took photography classes. I was pretty good back then, if I say so myself.  However, a succession of cameras later and moving into the digital age, I slipped further and further into the "automatic" world.  In fact, this Canon camera has more automatic or semi-automatic functions than ever before.  The temptation to fall back into that mode is great! But I'm trying real hard to get back to "manual."


My coach Jean has been generous with advice and, of course, her most valuable instruction is "practice practice practice."  But when I have such a multitude of creative interests, not to mention just the chores of daily living, trying to set aside days upon days to play with the camera is daunting and easily avoided.  The same goes for studying Photoshop!


However, I clipped and brought in a few of my last roses of summer (you know how much I love my roses) and that impelled me to at least spend some time practicing with the camera and with Photoshop.  This is not really a tutorial.  I wouldn't be that presumptuous.  But what I did was explore different exposures and settings with the camera. Then in Photoshop, I cropped photos and adjusted lighting.  I then applied one or more textures from Flypaper Textures Spring Painterly and Summer Painterly packs using blending modes, and sometimes adjusting color and saturation. That's the best I can do with explanations - it didn't occur to me to write down the steps I took.  I'm still practicing, remember?  (smile)

Before (straight out of camera):
After:

Before:

After:


Before:

After:

Before:
After:

Before:

After:

I think I prefer the "before" photo of at least one of these. Can you guess which one? And did I tell you I love my roses?

OK, off to practice some more ....

1 comment:

  1. Ohhh..I love all of them..especially the one that is so bright and vibrant in deep color! Wish I knew more about PS or had the inclination (and less ADD0 to learn :-)

    ReplyDelete

I'm interested in what you have to say. Join the discussion:

Related Posts with Thumbnails