Saturday, September 24, 2011

The Key to Collage

Every week, when Inspiration Avenue posts the theme for the week, I write it down, determined not to wait until the last minute to work on something. And every week the days get away from me and I end up in the last minute ... again!!!  The theme this week is "keys" and I especially wanted to create something because I have about a half dozen reproduction antique keys that I have been wanting to use in a collage. 

I love the dimensional collages that other artists create, but I'm not always happy with what I come up with. I end up just puttering and puttering, moving stuff, putting it in, taking it out ... then I usually end up giving it up!  This time I managed to finish it and I'm relatively happy with it, all things considered.  Here's the elements I pulled out to use:

Clip art of the top of a house. I cut out the tree branches and added them to the background. My large key and a few other doodads I thought I might use. A few random clip art and type pieces. I cut down an old piece of wood and left the old layers of paint, cut them into house shapes, and covered the edges with distress ink. Vintage buttons from my collection.  I ended up using most of, but not all, of these pieces.

One piece of clip art gave me the title for this piece: "Unredeemed." 


I love this key ....


Oh yes, I also painted and distressed a frame I had.  Here's the finished piece. 
I think I have to live with it for a while before I decide if I like it. What do you think?  Is it too busy?  
Whew! I'm getting in just under the wire for the Inspiration Avenue challenge!

6 comments:

  1. I think it is really nice the way it is. My eye moved easily around the piece & I especially like the fence & hand!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may need to live with it awhile, but I fell in love with it as soon as I saw it. You show such attention to detail. I never considered cutting a board to turn into a house. And that door knob and key make the piece. This is one piece I would not change a thing on! It is delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You probably can't see it clearly as you've been working on it - I get like that too! - but it's not too busy at all, it's visually fascinating and perfectly composed. And I absolutely LOVE it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with all of the above- it is PERFECT the way it is! I personally love it when you do work like this- you have such a great eye for combining things in a great composition with a gorgeous result! If it were mine, I'd have it prominently displayed with my Halloween decor and then I'd find a location where I could enjoy it daily....LOVE this!
    xo
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed your key collage and looking at your blog. Keep collaging you are doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think this is too busy... in fact I love it as it is. Thanks for sharing so many closeups and some of your process!!! This is great and I look forward to coming back and visiting again.xx

    ReplyDelete

I'm interested in what you have to say. Join the discussion:

Related Posts with Thumbnails