Thursday, September 15, 2011

Fall Rustic Banner Tutorial

 I guess I can't hold on to summer forever; autumn is on its way whether I like it or not. What I do like are the gorgeous colors of fall - brown, rust, yellow, orange.  I also love nature's autumn bounty - brightly colored leaves, pine cones, berries, pumpkins.  What I DO NOT like is that fall is followed by winter. But that's a story for another day.



Wanting to embrace autumn, I created this rustic autumn banner that celebrates nature's bounty and its beautiful colors. 


The best part is that I already had everything I needed to create this banner, much of it left over from previous projects, and some pinecones I always collect during my neighborhood walks.

Here's the supplies I used. 

Silk autumn leaves (softened and darkened around the edges with walnut ink antiquing solution)
Orange, yellow and white artificial berries 
Pinecones (I drilled a small hole and inserted eye hooks for hanging)
Scrapbooking paper in shades of tan, brown, rust, cut into pennant triangles
Quilt fabric in fall colors, left over from a lap quilt my niece created for me
A long fabric strip originally trimmed from the quilt edge
Glue gun, drill, eye screws,Walnut Ink Antiquing Solution

I started by punching two holes at the top of each triangle.
  
I then layered two leaves,


Then the berries,
I topped it with a bow from the quilt fabric and attached all of it with a glue gun.
 

I took the long strip of patchwork, folded it over and stitched it the long way, leaving the rough edges to fray.



I then alternated stringing the decorated pennants with the pinecones which I tied on with another strip of quilt fabric.


Because the pennants and the pinecones are strung along the fabric strip, they can be carefully slid along the strip to make the banner as narrow as 30 inches shown here or as wide as up to about 80 inches. 



I hope my description is clear enough; it was quite easy to put together.  My biggest challenge is to find a good spot to take photos when I finish a project.  I had to take it all outside which was fine with me because it was a beautiful day!



Happy creating ... and happy autumn! 

I'm linking this tutorial to My Repurposed Life

7 comments:

  1. this looks great! I especially love the berries. Saw you over at My Repurposed Life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful idea, perfect timing too I am going up to the local mountains tomorrow I will gather some pinecones to make this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful idea, perfect timing too I am going up to the local mountains tomorrow I will gather some pinecones to make this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. great banner, and super tutorial!
    thanks for linking up and linking back to catch as catch can.
    catching you this week!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  5. That may be the most b.e.a.u.t.i.f.u.l. autumn decoration I have seen! What an inspiration!
    ♥'s
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute project! I love it so much that I decided to feature it in our roundup of rustic crafts! Check it out here: http://www.favecraftsblog.com/link-love-country-style-crafts/

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I'm interested in what you have to say. Join the discussion:

Related Posts with Thumbnails