Saturday, August 13, 2011

My August Garden Grows ... Seriously!

Even before we headed into spring, I told myself I would have to just let my garden grow however it liked this year.  Still coping with several doctor-ordered restrictions from my back surgery in March, I knew I couldn't get out there and dig in the dirt like I do every other year.  Beyond planting a few pots of annuals, I let the perennials and climbing vines (and weeds!) do their growing largely without my interference. And grow they have - it's a jungle out there.  Benign neglect has been tough for me to handle!

I found the easiest way to deal with it is to practice selective vision - ignore the forest and focus on the smaller beauties and tranquil moments in the garden.



For instance, the coneflowers and bee balm never fail to attract bees and butterflies of all stripes (pun intended!)






My Annabelle Hydrangea never fails to delight. The blossoms dry to this soft green so nicely; I use them inside the house with my fall decorations.
These bittersweet berries will turn orange very soon and will most certainly end up in a great fall wreath.

I adore all of my roses, but they'll need special attention next spring.  With all the rain we have had they are suffering from blackspot.  But they still bloom on and make me say, "awwwwwww."


These berries from a Virginia Creeper vine don't last long; the birds love them. 


This is the first year I had a Dahlia bloom again from last year without any help from me whatsoever!

The pots I planted with annuals are doing fine, although a bit scraggly at this point. 

These petunias are the most lovely and vivid purple - just gorgeous!


Thank goodness all of my garden is protected by this garden fairy ....


... and this joyous garden lady, my very favorite ... she just makes me smile!



3 comments:

  1. Wow, Felicia, your photographs are so amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the garden tour! Your already great photography keeps getting even better :D A real pleasure

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to both of you! I still feel I have a lot to learn about photography (especially with a new camera)so I sometimes feel it's a lucky accident when I get some good ones.

    ReplyDelete

I'm interested in what you have to say. Join the discussion:

Related Posts with Thumbnails