Monday, August 8, 2011

It's Not Your Mother's Embroidery Anymore ...

In yesterday's post I showed you the vintage embroidery my mother created sometime in the 1930s.  These days the humble embroidery hoop has been updated with more contemporary approaches and themes.  A search on Etsy for "embroidery hoop art" reveals an incredible variety - some including traditional stitchery, but most employing new techniques such as stitched paper ephemera, lazer transfer, steampunk, and all sorts of attachments such as buttons, beads, wire, lace, etc.

I also mentioned that while cleaning out my fabric supply I found quite a stash of hoops, so I have been taking advantage of the newest "thing" while recycling those hoops and my overflowing scrap supply.   Here's a few I completed recently.  I'm still working on a few more.  (Click on the photos to go to the Etsy listing.)

This one has some traditional stitchery, and the centerpiece has been painted and glittered, repurposed from an '80s era oversized lapel pin.


This soft green and peach "I lovelovelove you" has my handmade paper hearts as its centerpiece with paper lettering. 


My "life is beautiful" hoop art is quite large - 18" diameter. The banners are cut from sparkly glitter paper.



This pink flower fabric is what I was searching for which prompted me to sort and re-arrange all my fabric and needlework supplies!  I used a modified trapunto ("stuffed embroidery") technique and added a tiny spool and needle.


My Victorian hoop art includes another one of those '80s pins made of sea shells and beads, then painted and glittered. 


This one is just for fun.  I have a supply of these teeny tiny books from a previous project ... and one thing led to another.



Because it's all about me ........................................


3 comments:

  1. These are awesome! I can so see them (the top 1 especially) in Somerset Magazine or Cloth Paper Scissors. And the bottom one has Etsy Front Page all over it. Well done

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Stacey. I'm enjoying doing these. Have a few more to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, great projects and gorgeous images! Thanks for the new twist in embroidery!

    ReplyDelete

I'm interested in what you have to say. Join the discussion:

Related Posts with Thumbnails