Wednesday, May 4, 2011

With a Little Help From my Friends


I have had a rough time since I last posted.  It's been two months since my surgery so I was trying to wean off some of the strong medicines I'm on. That didn't work very well - increased overall pain levels, a severe case of the blahs, bad sleep and an increase in pain and numbness in my legs.  So I caved and called the doctor's office for new prescriptions. It took just a day to get me back to reasonable functioning once I took the new meds.  I try to avoid taking too many drugs but sometimes they are a God-send.

In the meantime, my next door neighbor, my excellent caregiver, drove me to pick up prescriptions (twice) and made sure I was fed, my laundry was done, and the trash was put out.  I have been slowly cutting back on her time with me because I'm quickly reaching the point of being able to care for myself. She'll still come back to handle the heavy stuff like laundry.

I have been so grateful for what she has done for me that I printed and framed the above collage print and gave it to her yesterday.  She loved it!  I have another gift I want to make for her, but it will have to wait until I can drive my car, which by the way is deader than a doornail.  I tried to get people to drive my car occasionally while I was laid up, but they were hesitant to do so.  So my (old) battery gave it all up and quit. I'm not supposed to drive until I get off the strong meds but I'm really getting antsy.  I don't feel dizzy or weak and feel I could do short trips right now.

It's still a long recuperation with setbacks and small victories, but I'm working on it. 



7 comments:

  1. Hang in there, Felicia!!
    Feel better!!!

    I love this collage...Can I have permission to post the picture on my site?

    Take care :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course you can, Jen. Nice to "see" you ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Felicia, I am so sorry you are having a rough time - constant pain is such a drag - how awesome your neighbor is truly a friend and has been helping you. My daughter was hit by a car about 2 weeks ago - badly sprained ankle (she's actually very lucky!!!) her son hasn't been to school since the accident - she doesn't have a car & school is a mile away! so, it's just so awesome you have someone next door to help you!
    You are truly back up and around with no pain very soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your good thoughts, lisianblue! So sorry to hear about your daughter. Hopefully she'll find an "angel" like I did to help her out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just take it easy and don't rush it, no matter how antsy you are!

    ReplyDelete

I'm interested in what you have to say. Join the discussion:

Related Posts with Thumbnails