Saturday, May 7, 2011

Mom and Me



That's little me and my Mom. She passed away when she was at the age I am now.  I felt it was much too soon then, and I feel that way even more so now that I am that same age.  Many times over the years I have wished she was still here. There's so many things I want to talk to her about now that I'm older and understand so much more.


Last year in an online writing class conducted by my friend Natasha (creative nachos), I wrote the following piece about my mother.  It came from deep in my heart and still brings me to tears when I read it again.

I examine my reflection in the mirror,
My round face lightly lined,
and gently caress my cheek.
My skin is soft and smooth,
like that scrap of vintage velvet
I keep for no other reason
Except that I like how it feels.

My silky skin is her bequest to me,
a forever reminder of my mother.
We had a troubled relationship
when I was younger, reaching
an uneasy truce and forgiveness
and hugs before she died.

I wish she had stayed longer,
stayed until I really grew up,
stayed until I understood her,
stayed until I could thank her,
as I gently kissed my mother’s
forever soft cheeks once more. 

For those of you who still have your mom: talk to her, understand her, thank her, and love her.


Happy Mother's Day!

6 comments:

  1. wonderful post & great photo. Wishing you a lovely & creative day

    ReplyDelete
  2. merci pour ce beau partage... Je vous souhaite à vous et à toutes les mamans une joyeuse et merveilleuse fête... Bisous

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Stacey and Martine. Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Felicia, what a beautifully written sentiment! I'm so glad my mother is here, enjoying life. I know I am very fortunate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Mitzi. I loved your story about your Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you had a wonderful weekend..Sorry for the delayed greeting.
    Lovely reminder!!

    ReplyDelete

I'm interested in what you have to say. Join the discussion:

Related Posts with Thumbnails