Friday, October 15, 2010

Sad Thoughts and Sunny Weather Redux

Sorrow and scarlet leaf,
Sad thoughts and sunny weather.
Ah me, this glory and this grief
Agree not well together!
-Thomas Parsons, 1880, A Song for September

I have written before about how this time of year makes me a little melancholy.  Each season brings its own unique beauty and I do love that, but Winter's cold and isolation isn't my favorite.  So when Autumn comes the sadness comes with it.  Strangely, I'm not feeling it so strongly this year, possibly because the summer just passed was so unbearably hot and humid I didn't stay outdoors as much as usual. It was a disappointing summer from that standpoint. But when I stuck my head out the door this morning for a second I wished for that heat back. It's dang cold out there!  There's no denying, though, that all of the seasons bring us visual delights!

Winter is an etching

Spring a watercolor

Summer an oil painting



And Autumn a mosaic of them all.
- Quote by Stanley Horowitz

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm interested in what you have to say. Join the discussion:

Related Posts with Thumbnails