Sunday, September 26, 2010

He's ba-a-a-ack!!!

 Ok, now this is starting to creep me out.  Remember last fall I wrote about the strange behavior of a spider at my place? Back then, one of my readers was kind enough to let me know that the spider is an Orbweaver (or "Worb-eaver" as I mis-spoke to my nieces yesterday, who thought I was pretty hilarious).  These spiders build a web, then after a short time they eat up the web, move somewhere else and build another web. (Nice that they clean up after themselves!)


Well, it's back!  Now I don't know if it's the very same one, but I have never seen two at a time.  This one started out on my back patio just like last year, but it has now moved to MY FRONT PORCH.  And it's web "anchors" spread from the ceiling to my wreath to the tree to the ground.  This I do not like - I have to pass too close to it to get in and out of my house. I know, I know - I'm a sissy.

And I'm really getting creeped out that this guy shows up every Halloween! I'm starting to have nightmares that this spider is more than just a garden spider - and it's slowly building a giant web around my whole house and by October 31 I will be totally encased in a web cocoon with a ginormous spider with red horns drooling and coming after me for dinner!!   WAKEUPWAKEUP!! Whew. That was close.

I want to live and let live, so I'm hoping he will move on as he always does.  He's just too close for comfort this time. ;-)

6 comments:

  1. Felicia, I have quite a few spiders story myself. And you're right, they seem to keep coming back no matter what!
    It seems like they get resurrected to just scare us every day, lol.
    Take care,

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a pretty creepy looking spider! I hope it's smaller than it looks in the picture...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi JenJen - I was a little intrigued with this one's behavior so I have tolerated it. But enough is enough! I don't want it getting any ideas about coming inside.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Janet,
    I estimate it's about an inch and a quarter tip to tip - not tiny. I'm not going to get any closer to get an accurate measurement! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. uuugggh! I don't blame you one bit, it would certainly freak me out! We had one this summer whose web was as large as my husband, yikes! Not the same breed mind you but still 8 legged, blach!
    On a happier note I found you through Stephanie's blog and so happy I did, loved visiting your shop!
    ♥Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sharon, Welcome!!
    You'll be interested to know that when I left to go shopping it was still there, but when I came back it was gone. Now I'll be wondering where it'll show up next!

    ReplyDelete

I'm interested in what you have to say. Join the discussion:

Related Posts with Thumbnails