Sunday, May 9, 2010

Friendship, Fun, Flowers

Friday, 5/7:

What a special day it was! I finally met Etsy Island Dream Life artist Lisa BongZee who was featured during "I'd Rather Be in Hawaii" week last February.  Snce my sister and I were without wheels in Honolulu, Lisa very kindly offered to pick up my sister Fran and I and give us a little tour of Oahu.  I can't tell you what a pleasure it was to meet Lisa - Lisa with the biggest blue eyes you have ever seen.  First, she greeted us with a hug and leis she made for us out of wonderfuly scented plumeria and stephanotis. She then took us on a long drive around the island, stopping for many "photo ops" along the way. Like this:


And this. This is the beach where that famous beach scene was filmed with Burt Lancaster and Deborah Kerr in "From Here to Eternity."
 

Lisa brought along her constant companion, Brighton.  What a cutie, and so well-behaved! 


We stopped for lunch at Formaggio Grill in Kailua. It was the perfect serendipitous choice: casual ambiance and great food.  Their motto is "How great would life be if we lived a little every day." I totally agree! Lisa and Fran had a delicious chicken and pasta dish, and I had lobster bisque (to die for!) and these crab cakes:


Here's Lisa and I at lunch. I'm wearing the lei she gave me, and didn't I tell you she has the most beautiful big blue eyes!?!

You'll have to read Lisa's blog post about the more amusing aspects of our lunch and our conversation here.  I laughed so hard when I read her description!  We had such a fun time just talking and sharing stories. Anyone seeing and hearing us would think we had known each other all our lives. Lisa is that easy to be with!  Here's my sister Fran and me showing off the leis Lisa gave us:

After lunch we stopped at Island Treasures, a beautiful shop filled with gifts by some extremely talented artists. I bought silver plumeria earrings and a peach colored plumeria necklace.  I wondered why my Hawaiian artist friends seemed to love plumeria so much, and now I know why. It is a beautiful flower with such a lovely scent.

Lisa took us back to our hotel and we all hugged and said our goodbyes, but not before Lisa (and Brighton!) gifted us with more lovely mementos that will forever remind us of this special day.

I'm here to tell you that not only is Lisa a very gifted painter, she's a beautiful, generous and interesting human being. We thoroughly enjoyed her company and I am so thankful that we had the chance to spend time together, if even for such a short time.  Mahalo, Lisa, for such a lovely time!

Back at the hotel, Fran and I decided to treat ourselves and get massages. After all, we were staying at a "hotel and spa!"  Why not??



Saturday, 5/8:

We said goodbye to Honolulu and flew to Kauai today to continue our Hawaiian adventure.  We're staying in a 1-bedroom condo here - nice!  After unpacking, we headed to the local Safeway to get some groceries since we'll be able to cook some of our meals. It was a pretty uneventful day, but for some reason I am very tired, so I think it's time to check out the bed.  Goodnight!

5 comments:

  1. OH WOW, what a wonderful trip you are having! Please keep sending photos and updates!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for taking the time to post your adventures on your blog. I love Hawaii and would love to go back someday. I hope yall continue to have a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was really great that you got to meet a fellow artist on your Hawaii trip! I was in Maui last summer. It was before I had joined etsy or VAST. It was a wonderful trip but it would have been great to meet some VAST artists when I was there. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aloha hope to meet you and show you some of my island of Kauai while you are here visiting, and give you a big aloha hug! ♥schar

    ReplyDelete
  5. Felicia sounds like you and Liza had a great time. I love the photos and adventures you shared!
    Aloha♥schar

    ReplyDelete

I'm interested in what you have to say. Join the discussion:

Related Posts with Thumbnails