Wednesday, December 16, 2009

More Christmas Memories

Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmas-time. ~Laura Ingalls Wilder

As I mentioned before, my sisters and brothers wrote up some childhood memories of their siblings for my themed family calendars. Here's some of the Christmas memories.

When I was a teenager but my three younger sisters were quite small. For reasons lost to my memory, we always opened our gifts on Christmas Eve. So how to keep the Santa belief alive and get the presents under the tree? So we older sisters and brothers planned it out - I rushed my sisters into the back bedroom, telling them Santa was coming and they were supposed to be asleep. Then my brothers stomped up and down the stairs, ho-ho-ho-ing and jingling all the way while they brought the presents down from the attic hiding place. I still remember the excited squeals and big eyes on my little sisters' faces listening to that. I thought they were going to wet their pants. Priceless! - Felicia

What was funny and coincidental was how often my brothers and sisters, unbeknownst to each other, wrote about the same memories, like this:

I so remember S in the backyard, in the dead of winter, shivering cold, spraying cold water out of a cold hose in another attempt to create a hockey rink. Is there a hockey fan more devoted than S??  - Felicia

We managed to freeze the backyard for a hockey rink one year. One slap shot and we broke the kitchen window. We thought about running away because we thought Dad would kill us. - S


If somebody in my family says “C’mon over and let’s make wreaths,” beware:

Just before Christmas one year (1963, I believe), S and I went down to the basement with some branches from the Christmas tree. I intended to weave a homemade wreath for the front door. Shortly thereafter, TG arrived. He came down to help, saw the two cases of beer Dad had put there in preparation for the festivities, and suggested we test the beer to “make sure it was OK.” Needless to say, about an hour or two later there still was no wreath, but quite a few empty beer bottles. Henceforth, having a few beers came to be known as “making wreaths.” - B




And, finally, a special memory of mine:

It was Christmas time … walking with my sister on her way to her clarinet lessons … our collars clutched tight against the cold … the streets quiet, a light snow falling, Christmas lights twinkling … and “Silver Bells” playing in the distance somewhere … such a sense of peace I felt! I often take myself back to that moment in my mind especially during the Christmas holidays.
- Felicia


Wishing all of you a sense of peace throughout this holiday season...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm interested in what you have to say. Join the discussion:

Related Posts with Thumbnails