Tuesday, October 13, 2009

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month



That's my Mom.  She died of breast cancer in 1979 at the age of 67.

My parents raised nine children, four boys and five girls.  Seeing our mother suffer with breast cancer sent a message to her five daughters - we all have been diligent about annual mammograms and screening. That diligence paid off for one of my younger sisters. She was diagnosed with very early stage breast cancer and was successfully treated with lumpectomy and radiation.

I have several high-risk factors in addition to the above two and have had four non-cancerous fibroid tumors removed.  A few years ago I heard about The Sister Study, so I signed up. The Sister Study is the only long-term study of women ages 35-74 who have not had breast cancer themselves but whose biological sister was diagnosed with the disease. It is a national study to learn how environment and genes affect the chances of getting breast cancer. A total of 50,000 women have joined the study. The study is run by the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS).  NIEHS is one of the National Institutes of Health, part of the Department of Health and Human Services. I completed an extensive series of test and interviews initially, and now they will occasionally check up on me and in turn I will report any relevant medical issues I might have to them.

So as you can see, breast cancer has hit close to home for me.  I just completed two new digital photography prints in honor of this month and in memory of my mother. These two prints are now posted in my etsy shop and I will donate 20% of all of the purchase prices to Susan G. Komen for the Cure.  I also added my pink pinecone holiday wreath for the 20% donation.

These prints would be the perfect gift for a special mom, sister, friend - and most especially for anyone you know who might be fighting the breast cancer battle themselves.









Support the cause on behalf of all women. 

9 comments:

  1. What a beautiful addition to your blog. The prints ae gorgeous and it was so nice to see the picture of your mom.
    tish

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my, this made me cry. This is a good thing you are doing in memory of mom and celebrating our sister. Monica

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post! Your mom was beautiful! Im glad that you did this post and its for such a great cause!
    Blessings!
    check out my blog for a giveaway
    xo
    Priscila
    littlemissheirlooms.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your comments, especially my sisters'. It makes me cry too when I look at mom's photo. I even cried as I created these two prints because I was thinking of her and missing her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, really beautiful, Felicia, and what a wonderful way to honor our Mom and Frannie. It made me cry as well (right here in the library!) I miss her evey day......betts (the baby and tiebreaker)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Betts *waving* - I never thought about you being the tiebreaker in favor of the girls in the family. That's special! I know - we all miss Mom and Dad so much. Talk to you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a beautiful blog entry! Your mother was beautiful and she made some very beautiful people! I believe that this entry could help save some lives. Thanks for thinking of all the ta-tas out there!

    xoxo, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for this post to aware about cancer and hoping to post more of this, for more visit physical therapist nyc.

    Have Great Day.

    ReplyDelete

I'm interested in what you have to say. Join the discussion:

Related Posts with Thumbnails