Sunday, June 7, 2009

Shakespeare and SEO
What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet.
Wm. Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet
If Shakespeare had to be concerned with search engine optimization (SEO) he might have had to think a bit longer about “what’s in a name?” When I chose “another bright idea” as the name for my Etsy shop, I had never heard of SEO. If I had, I might have given more thought to coming up with another bright idea (pun intended, sorry) – a site name that was unique to me and wouldn’t be used by everyone in the universe who had an idea. A Google search with “another bright idea” will bring up everything from gossip about Naomi Campbell’s desire to have a baby to instructions on how to recycle your CFIs (compact fluorescent lights). The sort of good news is that if someone tries “anotherbrightidea,” no spaces, then – bingo – I’m first on the list.
I chose the name for more personal reasons, though. It is somewhat sarcastic and tongue in cheek, reflective of the fact that I do come up with ideas all the time. Some begin in my brain, stay there and eventually fade from my short-term memory; others spur me to action. Some of those turn out to be brilliant, appearing in reality just the way I saw them in my head. But alas, I have also had some not-so-bright spectacular failures. Fortunately, I can hide or destroy those before anyone else sees them!
Having so many ideas can be frustrating. My Etsy site reflects probably one-tenth of the types of art and craft I want to explore. I just keep running out of time to act on my ideas. You know, time - that commodity that none of us have enough of! I suspect I’m not the only one whose thoughts just before I slip into sleep are first, what I accomplished that day, and second, what I DIDN’T get done today. The latter list always seems a lot longer ...
Time is a sort of river of passing events, and strong is its current; no sooner is a thing brought to sight than it is swept by and another takes its place, and this too will be swept away. – Marcus Aurelius
What about you? Lots of ideas, not enough time? How do you quiet your mind? How do you deal with it?

3 comments:

  1. I seldom have time in a day to feel I accomplished what was on my 'list'. I guess I deal with it by adding to the list as needed and rearrange the priorities of the list often! I find it frustrating that I have yet to figure out the best way to utilize all the hours I have! Squeezing a moment here or there to add one more thing helps! May every moment of your day be full!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Peggy Sue - I love all things quilty so I took a look your blog and your etsy shop. Great stuff! Love the miniatures too - that's one of those "other" things I want to get to some day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the blog, FFF - as usual, you keep me entertained with your writing, and I'll be sure to follow regularly. It's been a while since I looked at your art ... you've reminded me to go do that now :). Hope you're doing and feeling well these days, my friend!

    Pam

    ReplyDelete

I'm interested in what you have to say. Join the discussion:

Related Posts with Thumbnails