Tuesday, June 16, 2009

"It's not enough to be busy. The question is: what are you busy about?" ~ Henry David Thoreau

I fly tonight to Wisconsin to spend a few days with my sister. Just in time - I think I need to back off a little from my studio and my Etsy shop to gain some perspective. I have been so busy, but lately I have been asking myself that question: what am I busy about? At the end of the day why do I always feel I haven’t accomplished as much as I wanted to? I’m hoping to return home from this trip with a clear head, refreshed and re-energized.

As I was preparing for the trip I realized how rusty I am with travel preparations. Back in the day, in the frenzied work world, I traveled extensively and had packing down to a science. But the last time I was on a plane was in 2005; a few back surgeries have grounded me since then. It’s quite a bit different this time – I’m probably over-packing, and stressed about forgetting something. I have to keep reminding myself what I used to tell my Mom, who packed for a trip by imagining very possible item we might need and packing it: if I forget something they do have stores in Milwaukee!

The trip has a purpose – I promised my sister that I would help her decorate her new condo and she moved in two years ago! She's been very patient. I’m a little late with my consulting services, but looking forward to having someplace new to decorate.


We’re also going to take a quick trip to visit Galena, IL. It’s a quaint, historical town with lots of artists and galleries, antique shops, B&Bs, and unique eateries. A friend tells me a cafe there has the best coffee he’s ever had in his life. And he’s a coffee aficionado! I have wanted to see Galena for quite awhile and I’m glad to finally have the chance. I’m hoping for lots of photo ops in the surrounding countryside and renewed inspiration from all the artists in the area. The only possible downer: the weather forecast. Rain, rain, go away!

I don’t know if I will be able to post while I’m gone. That will all depend on whether and where I can find wireless access. (I can't sit at Starbucks all day!)

What about you? Are you able to get away somewhere this summer? What do you do to refresh and re-energize?

2 comments:

  1. Have fun visiting your sister. & Decorating is always fun :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a wonderful time. Sometimes we do need to take those breaks - fun ones.
    Graduation week next week so it'll be hectic and then we'll be in VA the week after - but I'm wired at all the times because my folks are in Phils.

    ReplyDelete

I'm interested in what you have to say. Join the discussion:

Related Posts with Thumbnails