Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Garden Fairies

Sit where the cat sits.
Cross your toes.
Close your eyes.

And smell a rose.

Then say under your breath:

"I believe in fairies, sure as death."

- Excerpt from 'Lady Cottington's pressed fairy book'


Although I’m normally not a huge fan of garden statues, I do have a few fairies and a fairy house in my garden because … Well … I like fairies. Here’s my favorite: a garden fairy I purchased a few years ago from a gift shop/garden shop in Lexington, MI. The owner digs up and gives a cutting of Lady’s Mantle to anyone who purchases a garden fairy, the legend being that fairies wash up in the morning with the dew that collects on the Lady’s Mantle leaves. She told me that she purchases these garden fairies from an elderly lady in Kentucky who makes them. Isn’t this fairy delightful, and doesn’t she just make you want to smile and throw up your hands in thanks for a beautiful summer day?
You can also find fairies in my etsy shop:

I also have some framed floral collections being guarded by their fairy:




There's more here.

Take a minute to sit quietly in your garden. Can you see the fairies?








2 comments:

  1. Lovely pics! Especially the Digital collages.

    Stumbled over this thought the other day:

    When the first baby laughed for the first time, its laugh broke into a thousand pieces, and they all went skipping about, and that was the beginning of fairies. And now when every new baby is born its first laugh becomes a fairy. So there ought to be one fairy for every boy or girl. - James Matthew Barrie, Peter Pan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I love that one, too. After seeing the movie starring Johnnie Depp about J.M. Barrie a few years ago I read his biography. As always, the movies aren't quite like the reality, but I enjoyed both the movie and the biography. Very interesting!

    ReplyDelete

I'm interested in what you have to say. Join the discussion:

Related Posts with Thumbnails