Monday, June 15, 2009

Art and Music - Irrational?

Great art is as irrational as great music. It is mad with its own loveliness. – George Jean

That was just a teaser title for a favorite quote. The first sentence is provocative; the second sentence is delightful!

The theme for last week’s Thursday Sweet Treat was a little different than usual. Natasha posted "Clair de lune", the third movement of Claude Debussy's piano suite Suite bergamasque, which in itself was a depiction of a poem by French poet Paul Verlaine. (What goes around, comes around?)
Hear it: Clair de Lune
It was ironic that she chose this piece, because it is one of my all-time favorites. My oldest brother loved this piece and as a child I remember him trying to play it on Mom’s piano. It was a little beyond his capabilities but that didn’t stop us both from loving it. More recently, I found that others didn’t necessarily share our feelings.

I once had “Clair” playing as part of my computer screen saver and one day my next door office neighbor came in and asked me to stop it because when I was out of my office it was DRIVING HER CRAZY. And as you’ll see below, my nephew refuses to play it for me. Here’s the artwork I created along with the description that appeared for Thursday Sweet Treat.

“In the Light of the Moon”



"To visualize Clair de Lune (French, "moonlight"), I knew I wanted “blue” and “moon.” The end result is a digital collage print of 10 layers of texture: a few of my handmade papers, an altered moon photo, altered mountain range photo, and Photoshop effects. To me, this reflects the mood and essence of Clair de Lune."


“Stephen plays Clair de Lune”


"As I mentioned ..., my incredibly talented nephew won’t play the piece for me because he hates it. So I took my photo of him playing and superimposed it over the sheet music and some textured paper. This is my revenge – it looks like he’s playing it for me - and I’m sure we will have a good laugh about it! (Congratulations on your music scholarship to OU, Stephen!)"

Because dawn always comes after the night, I thought “In the Light of the Moon” deserved the follow-up, so here is “Comes the Dawn.”

Both "In the Light of the Moon" and "Comes the Dawn" are now in my etsy shop here.

2 comments:

  1. Tis a wonderful piece of music! Love the digi-collages

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is wonderful, isn't it? I never tire of Clair, and it relaxes me to listen to it. Thanks for your kind comments.

    ReplyDelete

I'm interested in what you have to say. Join the discussion:

Related Posts with Thumbnails